The first reference to the Graduate Program in Physics was the meeting of the Department Council on 27/07/1975, where the graduate program regulations were read by Prof. Josué Mendes Filho. The authorization by the Ministry of Education is dated of 12/22/1975, based on Ministerial Ordinance 30BSB and on the UFC University Council Resolution of 2/26/1976. The accreditation by the Federal Council of Education, in a report of 03/06/1980, was read at the Department Council meeting of 04/10/1980. The first coordinator of the master’s program in Physics was Prof. Júlio Auto Neto, from December 1975 to August 1977.
Today, the Graduate Program in Physics has a score 7 (maximum grade, international standard) at CAPES’s appraisal.
Hosted at the Physics Department – Campus do Pici, the Program offers academic master’s and doctoral degrees. Currently, 110 students, 38 in the academic master’s program and 72 in the doctoral program, compose the PPGFis student body.
Our faculty is currently composed of 31 permanent professors, 4 collaborators and 4 visitors, with 26 permanent professors who are holders of CNPq research productivity scholarships. The Program also has an excellent infrastructure for the development of advanced scientific research, which is composed of modern and well-equipped laboratories with qualified material and human resources, libraries and excellent computational structure.
First Master’s Dissertations:
- 12/01/1978: Francisco Erivan de Abreu Melo. Orientador: Prof. José Evangelista de Carvalho Moreira
- 20/07/1979: Luiz Carlos Campelo Cruz. Orientador: Prof. Helion Vargas
- 17/08/1979: Miguel Antônio Borges Araújo. Orientador: Prof. Francisco Flávio Torres de Araújo.
First Doctoral Theses:
- 03/12/1993: Sanclayton Geraldo Carneiro Moreira. Orientador: Prof. Francisco Erivan de Abreu Melo
- 17/10/1996: Carla Maria Salgado Vidal Silva. Orientador: Profa. Maria Marlúcia Freitas Santiago
- 08/11/1996: Antônio Jeferson de Deus Moreno. Orientador: Prof. Josué Mendes Filho
Graduate Program in Physics
Campus do Pici – Bloco 922
60.440-900 Fortaleza – Ceará – Brazil
Phone number: + 55 85 3366-9906 / Fax: +55 85 3366-9450
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Program Coordinating Committee:
Paulo de Tarso Cavalcante Freire (Coordinator)
Wandemberg Paiva Ferreira (Vice Coordinator)
José Soares de Andrade Júnior
Antônio Gomes de Sousa Filho
Rejane Ramos Coelho
Germano Franklin Costa Luz